Steel Shaft Repair EZE-Sleeves® are made from SAE 1020 steel with a Rockwell B84 hardness. They are environmentally safe, precision bored on the inside and show excellent resistance against normal stress exerted on it by the bearing surface.
- Chuck and indicate the rotor in the lathe.
- If necessary, use steady rest to true-up center hole in shaft: then use live center.
- Make a drawing of the bearing surface dimensions (diameter and length) and of the seal surface if it has to be machined also.
- Machine shaft to a diameter .002 larger than the I.D. of the sleeve.
- Heat the sleeve and shrink fit it on the shaft.
- Machine the portion of the sleeve over the seal area to the bearing dimension.
- Then machine the bearing surface.
- Machine the seal area to the original diameter.
- Chamfer any sharp corners.
- Polish sleeve with fine emery cloth to obtain exact dimensions and good surface finish.
- The shaft is now ready for assembly.